Tuesday, November 20, 2012

cocoCoconut Granola Bars


I am a total on-the-go eater. Before I leave the house in the morning I grab either an apple, granola bar, or both to keep my tummy happy until I am home in the afternoon. I wanted to try making my own granola bars with what I like in them. There are a million recipes out there, so based on the rough outline of them I came up with my own. These have toasted coconut, cocoa, pecans, and dates- I mean, yum! They are slightly crisp on the edges and chewy in the centre- just perfect!

























 

Ingredients:
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped pitted dates
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla
1/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Method:
  1. Toss together your oats, coconut and chopped pecans on a sheet pan and bake for 10-12 minutes at 35o degrees, stirring every couple of minutes until they are browned evenly.
  2. In a saucepan, add your butter, vanilla, brown sugar, honey, salt and sift in the cocoa powder. Bring this mixture to a low boil and turn to low.
  3. Meanwhile transfer your oat mixture to a large bowl, grease a large rectangular cake pan and line it with parchment paper- turn the oven to 300 degrees.
  4. Pour your hot mixture over the oats and stir to coat everything, pour into your greased, parchment lined baking dish and using a spatula press the mixture down into the corners of the pan and smooth the top.
  5. Bake at 300 degrees for 26 minutes.
  6. Allow bars to cool for 2-3 hours before cutting.
  7. Keep in an air tight container, or wrap in parchment paper for up to a week.
Enjoy and have a great Tuesday all!
xo
C

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to try this! I often take stabs and free style on the bars but often they crumble ... i luuuuv coconut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them!! AND these got the husband stamp of approval- Dave loved them!

      Delete